Of all the questions about the 49ers starting lineup today, the main one would have been clarified with Jimmy garoppolo back at quarterback, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported this morning. Several problems remain elsewhere before the 13:25 kick-off.
Before arriving there, the return of Garoppolo prevails. His sprained thumb (torn ligament, broken bone) kept him from playing the final game, and his ability to throw with pain from Tuesday to Friday made a compelling argument (according to testimonies from his teammates) that he should start his 45th and possibly last regular season game for the 49ers.
What would be more surprising is that Garoppolo takes every shot, not only because of his injury, but because the 49ers (9-7) could have a rushed passing threat. Trey Lance make cameos in key situations. This strategy was abandoned after the experiments of weeks 1 and 3, after Kyle shanahan claimed it spoiled his pace of play. All hands (even injured ones) are on the deck today.
For the first time in 36 years, the 49ers can claim a playoff berth by winning their regular season finals. Here are the other suspicious spots in the lineup (inactive players will be announced just before noon):
– Is left tackle Trent williams, probably their offensive MVP, ready to go despite the lack of training all week due to a sprained elbow last Sunday? The hypothesis: Yes, he will play, rather a rookie sub Jaylon moore.
– Will the starting cornerbacks be their most veteran unit in the Emmanuel Mosley (activated except reserve for injured on Saturday), K’Waun Williams (activated outside the COVID reserve on Saturday) and Josh Normand, who has teamed up with Moseley as an outside cornerback in the previous nine starts?
– linebacker Fred warnerthe winger of will be … either, (a) Marcel harris, who combined with Warner for 25 tackles in the last game but suffers from an Achilles tendon injury; (b) Dr Greenlaw, who has only played 50 snaps in two games this season; or, (c) Azeez Al Shaair, whose elbow injury will likely keep him sidelined for a third time in four games. The three linebackers are questionable.
– Is security free Jimmie Ward, who became the Rams’ kryptonite, ready to roll against Cooper Kupp and Odell Beckham Jr. despite the lack of training all week and the release of the COVID reserve on Saturday?
IMAGE OF the qualifiers
The Cowboys ‘Saturday night rout of the Eagles doesn’t impact the 49ers’ wild card chances, but it does ensure that a playoff-linked 49ers team would be seeded No.6 rather than No.7 , which would go to the Eagles (9-8) based on the 49ers’ Week 2 victory in Philadelphia as a head-to-head tiebreaker.
To get in, the 49ers must upset the Rams (12-4) or lose the Saints (8-8) to the Falcons (7-9), with a tie in either game allowing the 49ers to clinch the # 6 plant.
Here’s where the 49ers might open up in wildcard action and what winning combinations today make that work in matches also involving the Panthers (5-11) at Bucs (12-4) and Seahawks (6-). 10) at Cardinals (11 -5):
– In Tampa Bay
– In Dallas
– In Los Angeles
When was the last time a team made it to the playoffs with a division record 1-5, what do the 49ers hope to do if they lose and the Falcons beat the Saints?
Only the 1989 Steelers (9-7) reached the playoffs with a Division 1-5 record since the 1970 merger, according to Josh Dubow of The Associated Press. They finished third in the AFC Central and upset the second-placed Houston Oilers in the wildcard round before falling into a not-so-aptly named division game.
The 49ers would be the first team to succeed with a Division 1-5 mark since the 2002 realignment. It helps the NFL expand the playoffs to a 14-team field last season.
The 49ers are expected to wear their traditional road uniforms (white jersey, gold pants), and they’re 5-1 this season, after going 0-2 in the all-white alternate uniforms.
The Rams go for a pair of bone and blue jerseys and pants in which they are all-time 6-0.
Uniformity:# 49ers are 5-1 in white / gold on the road that year, and that should be Sunday’s wardrobe in LA (where half the crowd will be wearing red)
* 0-2 in white in Seattle, Tenn
Rams goes blue / jersey / pants, an all-time 6-0 combo https://t.co/H5DfwuYYNV
– Cam Inman (@CamInman) January 8, 2022
Across 16 games (the standard NFL slate from 1978 to 2020), here are the five offensive leaders of the 49ers in instantaneous numbers: guard Laken Tomlinson (1021; 100%), guard Daniel Brunskill (1016; 99.5), center Alex mack (1015; 99.4); Williams (933; 91.4) and Garoppolo (843; 82.6).
Defensively, Ward (927 snaps; 90.1%) and linebacker Fred warner (913; 89.5) are the leaders, and a No.3 is the defensive end Nick bosa, of which 781 shots (76.6) are four more than his 2019 rookie campaign. Bosa has 15 sacks on his return from a knee injury in the second week of last year.
These 49ers are not under contract for the 2022 season (RFA, restricted free agent; ERFA, exclusive free agent):
BACK TO THE RACE
Jeff Wilson Jr.
JaMycal Hasty (ERFA)
Jauan Jennings (ERFA)
River cracraft (ERFA)
Left guard Laken Tomlinson
Right tackle Tom compton
Right guard Daniel Brunskill (RFA)
Center Jake brendel
To keep Colton McKivitz (RFA)
Nose tackle DJ Jones
Defensive end Key to the Ardennes
Defensive end Jordan willis
Defensive tackle Maurice hurst
Defensive end Kentavius ââStreet
Defensive tackle Kevin givens (ERFA)
Azeez Al Shaair (RFA)
Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles (ERFA)
Curtis robinson (ERFA)